Thursday 23 October 2008

Cabbages and Carrots

Remember when I mentioned that Waitrose was selling bags of vegetables for £4? I didn't realise exactly how much value for money it is. I bought it nearly a week ago, and I'm still eating the vegetables now! There's alot of stuff in that one bag - 1kg potatoes, 1kg carrots, 0.5kg parsnips, 1 head of cauliflower, 1 small savoy cabbage.

I use at least one type of vegetable everyday and maybe it's because I've kept them in the fridge and use them to feed only one person, but they last a really long time! I hope they'll keep this up - if they do, I might be able to cut my food expenses down from £50 per week to £20 per week! Especially if I go to the butcher's for my meat, which I've been doing quite regularly now. Just yesterday, I walked out of the butcher's with 2 burger patties, 4 sausages and 4 large (oooh very large!) chicken breasts for only £10. I think that would feed me for 2 weeks! I suppose I should start going to Borough Market for my fish, too, to save money. (Stupid credit crunch)

Tonight, I was craving for cabbage soup, for some odd reason, so I cooked cabbage soup. It turned out alright, as expected (I mean, come on! Such a simple basic recipe!), but I'm really surprised that the cabbage didn't turn out bitter and that the chicken was still tender. I suppose a few bad experiences with bitter cabbage and tough, dry meat makes me expect that all cabbages will be bitter and all chicken breast meats will be dry haha.

I seem to recall absolutely loathing cooked carrots since forever, even this summer! However, a few days ago, I had a craving for carrot rice (normal white rice, just cook it with slices of carrot thrown in and some fish stock), so I had it with baked salmon and courgettes. Now, all of a sudden, I'm craving for carrots 24/7. I suppose I'll be having carrot rice as often as I have green rice (rice cooked with fish stock and broccoli florets, sometimes with spinach) now.

..... Yes, I'm feeling lonely and really want to talk to someone, but everyone's busy, that's why I'm rambling on and on about vegetables, of all things.


No comments: