Friday 13 March 2009

Cherry Pastries and Sugared Breadsticks

About 10 months ago, my sister posted pictures of some simple strawberry pastries she'd made at home at this post: clicky clicky! Later on, she posted the recipes here: CLICK!

Last night, my jar of morello cherries in syrup was about to expire, and I'd already eaten a bowlful of the cherries themselves and didn't want anymore. I just happened to have a roll of puff pastry that I was saving for sausage rolls, so I took it out and cut out squares, then put the cherries in the middle of one square, drizzled it with honey and sprinkled with sugar, and covered it with the other square to make a nice little pastry. I then baked it according to pack instructions (220C for 15mins) and it turned out really well!

It was definitely sweet enough, which I suppose is because the cherries were already in syrup. I think the sheer amount of sugar I put in helped alot too :P

Today, I had a craving for cinnamon breadsticks, so I went downstairs and made the next best thing: I cut strips of puff pastry, sprinkled them liberally with white sugar, then sprinkled mixed spice (my cinnamon powder had expired) and baked it for 10mins in a 220C oven. It turned out really well! The pastry rose high and became rather hard and almost biscuit-like, and it was sweet and lightly spiced and delicious. I have half a mind to keep a roll of puff pastry in my fridge all the time for this now!

.... So much for giving up sweet stuff. But in my defence, I haven't bought any sweet stuff since I made that promise!


No comments: