Thursday 26 March 2009

Pancakes

I was absolutely craving for pancakes today, for reasons I myself don't know. So, of course, I googled for pancake recipes, and picked the easiest one with the best reviews.

I'm never using pancake mix again. Seriously. Making them from scratch is so easy, and it tastes sooooo much better! Not to mention, my pancakes are far fluffier and softer than anything that would ever come out of a box! They came out a little too brown for my liking, mainly because I'd accidentally turned up the heat a little too high in the beginning. Still, it's good stuff!

I'll have to remember to make these for Patrick when he comes down to London. With honey, butter and fresh strawberries, and maybe some smoked goose too. Yummm~

Here's the recipe:

1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar (I think I added a little more than that)
pinch of salt

1 tsp vanilla
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp veg oil
235ml milk

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the center, pour rest of ingredients into well, mix into batter. Cook pancakes as usual.


It didn't take me 5 minutes to finish making the batter, measuring, beating and all. Yum. I had them with butter and honey.

Speaking of honey, I decided to try a different type of honey. My favourite is usually Scottish heather honey, although chestnut honey comes in as a close second. This time, I decided to try New Zealand thyme honey. I'm still not quite sure if I like it or not. Sometimes, it tastes like wet shoes! It certainly smells like it, too. But the texture of the honey is very smooth... Maybe it's one of those kinds of honey that you use for cooking savoury dishes instead?


No comments: