Friday 29 May 2009

Kuih Kodok (Deep Fried Banana Fritters)

Lately, I've been craving for Malaysian kueh (little bite-sized puddings that may be savoury or sweet) alot, particularly kuih kodok (which are little deep-fried banana fritters). Just a little explanation - kuih is the singular form, and kueh is the plural form for this word.

It all started when the IG girls came to my flat a few Saturdays ago. I was trying to explain what pandan was to them, and it got me thinking about kueh. I started looking for various kueh recipes and wondering which would be easiest to make, but with my meager kitchen equipment, I really can't do much!

I remembered kueh kodok, and really really wanted to eat it again. I only ever get to once every few years simply because we don't usually buy them at home - unhealthy, only nice when warm, and not many places I go to sell them. Soooo.... I googled the recipe and got this website! I straightaway went out to buy bananas, and today I made them! Yaaaay.

Here's the recipe:


500g bananas, peeled
200g sifted flour
5 tbsp sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten

Mash bananas. Add in the rest of the ingredients. Mix well, then set aside for half an hour. Heat vegetable oil in a wok or whatever you use for deepfrying (I used a small pot) over a moderate heat. Drop in tablespoonfuls of the batter, then fry till golden brown. Btw, the batter will first drop to the bottom of the pan, then float up in the oil as it cooks and expands. And it WILL expand, so do make room for that.

Best eaten hot or warm, but slightly cold is good too. I'll get back to you on how it is when it's completely cold :D


They turned out quite good! Sadly, the bananas weren't ripe or sweet enough, and I kinda fried them a little too long (I like them very brown, but this was a little ridiculous) but they're still good nonetheless :) The texture was exactly like I remembered it, and I think the mild banana taste and not-so-sweetness was because the bananas here are different from the ones I would use to make this in Malaysia. (The ones at home would be smaller and waaaaay sweeter and much much nicer)

This recipe is really really easy! You guys really should try it :) I think that if it isn't sweet enough, drizzling it very lightly with honey would be good.

Btw, for you peeps in or near Birmingham, there's a Chinese buffet restaurant there that served kueh kodok (under "deep fried banana fritters") about three years ago. They're really good! Only thing is I can't remember what the name is, or if they still serve it :/ Sorry 'bout that!


3 comments:

Petrina said...

The bananas we use at home for pisang goreng and kuih kodok would be the pisang emas or golden bananas. Which, unfortunately for you, are not available where you are right now. But that's okay. In less than a month, you can stuff your face silly with all of that. Plus cempedak goreng.... Yum..

(Mental note to self: must go find cempedak goreng tmrw)

Oh tmrw I'm going to Petaling St to pick up really yummy durian tarts and egg tarts for Ma.. There's another overnight vigil in church tmrw night. Will take pics.

Walter said...

Sounds really evil. ( Goodbye thighs !)
Should I use normal bananas for this or cooking bananas ( slightly bigger, very starchy, not really to be eaten directly ) ?

Priscilla said...

Liiiiiing, I want durian tarts tooooo :( And cempedak goreng!! With the seeds boiled later... Mmmmmmmm~~~

Walter, they are evil! And sooooo good :D I think you should use eating bananas for this, because you want the sweetness of the banana in it.